“Fixed Odds Betting Terminals – Assessing the Impact”
Fixed Odds Betting Terminals – All Party Group – Press Release
Group holds first session of its inquiry into FOBTs hearing from gamblers and the Campaign for Fairer Gambling
The newly formed Fixed Odds Betting Terminals All Party Parliamentary Group has held the first session of its inquiry in Parliament on Wednesday 6 July.
In the group’s first evidence session, Parliamentarians heard from gamblers who have experienced at first hand, the problems which can be caused by Fixed Odds Betting Terminals. They also heard from the Campaign for Fairer Gambling who has been campaigning to get the maximum stake that can be wagered from £100 to £2.
The Groups inquiry called “Fixed Odds Betting Terminals – Assessing the Impact” is running from now until the end of the year.
In a series of hearings, the inquiry will be taking oral evidence from the range of stakeholders in the FOBT debate from gambling addiction experts and FOBT users, to regulators, bookmaker Chief Executives and their representatives.
The inquiry would also welcome written submissions from interested parties by 31 July 2016.
Using this evidence the group will publish a report setting out their findings early in 2017.
Further information on the All Party Group can be found at www.fobt-appg.com
Carolyn Harris, the MP for Swansea East and the Chair of the All Party Group said:
“We are looking forward to the first session of our inquiry into Fixed Odds Betting Terminals. It is very important to hear from FOBT users, who have experienced at first hand the many difficulties and problems which FOBTs can cause. We are hoping we can learn from their experiences and are very grateful to the individuals for coming to meet with us.”
Notes to Editors
- The Fixed Odds Betting Terminals (FOBT) All Party Parliamentary Group has been created to provide a forum for discussion and further investigation into the impact of FOBTs in our communities. This group, powered by the passion of the members in both houses of Parliament on this issue, will allow a coordinated effort among politicians of all political parties, to come together to discuss how best to address the issues that FOBTs are causing to our communities.
- For more information, please contact Carolyn Harris MP, the Chair of the Fixed Odds Betting Terminals All Party Parliamentary Group or the secretariat for the Group: Kenneth Pritchard firstname.lastname@example.org T: 0207 592 3800
- The group’s report will be made publicly available in early 2017.
- Oral evidence sessions will be held each month and the attendees will be listed on the group website www.fobt-appg.com .These sessions will be by invitation only. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to attend.
- Written Submissions should be sent by 31 July 2016 to Kenneth Pritchard firstname.lastname@example.org